Our Trains

CMRR Alco RS-1 No. 401

Catskill Mountain Railroad No. 401 came to us in June 1988, purchased from the Green Mountain Railway in Vermont. The locomotive was built in March 1950 by American Locomotive Company for the Illinois Terminal Railroad as their 756 (later renumbered 1056). The unit was sold to Gulf, Mobile & Ohio and became their 1052, and later folded into the Illinois Central Gulf in 1972 under the same number and paint. It was acquired by Green Mountain in July 1976, and entered service in December 1976. No. 401 hauled freight and passengers in Vermont until it was sold to CMRR in 1988.

CMRROur connection to Conrail was still in place at the time, so the locomotive traveled on its own wheels all the way from Bellows Falls, Vt., to Kingston, N.Y. Conrail delivered the locomotive to Kingston in June 1988. The unit was immediately put to work as the railroad had a regular freight customer in the Kingston area.

After a few years of concentrating on expanding operations on the Phoenicia end, volunteers returned to Kingston in 2006 to help reopen the line through the city. Once again, 401 was called to duty to power work trains as volunteers inched closer and closer to opening the tracks through Kingston. In 2007, the decision was made to repaint the locomotive, which was still wearing the green paint applied in Vermont more than 20 years earlier. A version of New York Central’s famous “lightning stripes” was chosen, substituting CMRR’s colors for NYC’s two-tone gray.

The 401 is fully operational, and since 2008 has been pulling passengers as well as work trains through the historic city of Kingston on our seasonal train rides.

CMRR Alco S-1 No. 407

Catskill Mountain Railroad 407 is a locomotive with a long history of serving railroads in New York State. Built by the American Locomotive Company in Schenectady, N.Y., for the Long Island Rail Road in 1946. Designated a model S-1 by Alco, the locomotive is capable of generating 660 hp, and weighs 199,000 lbs. In 1966, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority purchased and assumed control of the Long Island Rail Road, and the 407 continued to serve its new owners faithfully.

10407032_640909436011800_3979091570964328737_n

On April 6, 1977, locomotive 407 was transferred to another MTA property, the Staten Island Railway. Clifton Shops in St. George became 407’s new home, relegated to work train and rescue duty. By the turn of the century, the MTA was looking to replace its older diesels with more current technology. New locomotives arrived in 2009 to replace 407 (and its sister unit 821). The Alcos were considered surplus and sold to an  equipment broker.

Around the same time, the Catskill Mountain Railroad was shopping around for a new locomotive to handle the heavier trains on the Phoenicia end of the line. With more and more people visiting the railroad each year, CMRR’s two existing smaller engines were struggling to keep up with the demand. After months of careful negotiation and fundraising, an agreement was in place for the acquisition of locomotive 407 in 2010.

Because both CMRR and SIR are currently isolated from the national rail network, 407 would have to be partially disassembled and trucked north. This proceess was expertly attended to by a crew led by American Railway Technologies and also CMRR volunteers led by Earl Pardini. The dismantling took place on April 28 and 29. Handrails, air reservoirs, steps and a coupler were removed from the locomotive. Traction motor cables, sand pipes and air brakes were disconnected from the trucks. On April 30, the locomotive was loaded by Staten Island Towing and prepared for shipment. The wheel assemblies would go in one load, and the rest of the locomotive would follow after.

After a few minor delays, 407 finally arrived in Mount Tremper on May 6, 2010. The locomotive was reassembled the next day with the help of Costanzi Crane & Rigging Co. and many CMRR volunteers. The locomotive was started up, and 407 made its maiden voyage over the CMRR on May 7, 2010. No. 407 is the primary power for our Esopus Scenic Trains operating out of Mt. Tremper, and in 2015 was painted and lettered in a style similar to the old New York Central Railroad.

Kingston Coaches – LIRR P-72

The majority of our coach fleet serving Kingston was built by Pullman-Standard for the Long Island Rail Road between 1955 and 1956 to replace aging prewar equipment on the nation’s busiest commuter line. Designated “P72” by the railroad, these 72-foot coaches soldiered on for nearly fifty years before they were replaced by more modern equipment and were sold off to new owners around the country. Former LIRR coaches 2940, 2949, 2962, and 2911 were acquired by CMRR to help add all-weather capacity for our popular Kingston trains.

LIRRP72

An additional coach was acquired in 2015 for first class service. Norfolk & Western No. 1727 was originally built to serve the Pocahontas, and later ended up on the Ontario Northland in Canada.

Mt. Tremper Coaches – DL&W

The Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad once operated an extensive commuter service from Hoboken to the suburbs of northern New Jersey. A pioneer in electrification, swift electric trains were introduced in the 1930s. A combination of motorized and non-motorized trailers were used, some built as early as 1925.

cmrr-701-702

These sturdy cars ran tirelessly until they were replaced by new trains in 1984. Coaches 701 (ex-4321) and 702 (ex-4332) have been restored by our volunteers for service on our Mt. Tremper trains. a third coach 703 (ex-4322) is currently under restoration.